While giving my website a facelift I deciced that the Tangles (Live page) project needed some attention. The page was previously the main game, followed by a mess of buttons and then instructions. I rearranged the content to give a proper introduction and made an in-canvas transition screen between levels. The end result looks much nicer and now it’s almost a completely self contained game. With some more work it could be made into a standalone app for the App Store. This project also benefitted from a higher resolution canvas than the actual element size, leading to better graphics.
While updating my website, another project that needed a little attention was the Wolfram rules (Live page) project. Apart from looking a little poor in its presentation, it was an experiment in DOM manipulation where a huhe HTML table was used to display the resulting algorithm. While it was nice to see that the DOM and CSS worked as they should, this project was better suited to the canvas, so I moved over to the canvas and added some colour to improve the presentation.
Before and after
As part of my website’s facelift I decided to update the Conway’s game of life (Live page) project. The content was rearranged to make more sense to the first time user, a the controls organised in a way that made them larger and easier to navigate. I also changed the links to different shapes to be gallery objects (similar to what I had for the Mandelbrot project.) This is also the first page to get the “You might also like…” feature at the bottom, which will soon appear on most other pages when I get time to add them.
Before and after
In the past few weeks I’ve been giving my website a facelift and updating many of the projects that were looking a little less presentable than the rest. One of the biggest changes was to the Alarm clock (Live page). Previously the clock had to be set in the source code (which was easy enough for me to do) and set using a time interval. I updated the code so that any user could set their own alarms and use a fixed time rather than an interval. At the same time I improved the general layout of the page and am now rather pleased with how it looks.
Before and after
In recent weeks I’ve been working a lot on the Trigger game (Live page.) These update have included an overhaul of the style, addition of new pages, rewriting of the “Spy mode”, adding new particles, tweaking the graphics, and many more changes behind the scenes. The code was significantly refactored to make it easier to extend and understand, as now this has becomes a collaborative project. The game has been tested on a few schools and shown to be a good success with children (and adults) and it seems to have a bright future. I also added sounds, music, and a simple music player.
Given my previous experience with the canvas it didn’t take long to code up a new version of the painter, and the biggest challenge was extending the scope of the line paintbrush to create lines at any angles, not just vertical or horizontal. The updated look is more sleek and professional, the performance is better, and there are fewer failure modes. I’ve kept the legacy version for interest, but I have no plans on using that again. I am also considering adding two new featuers in the future: allowing the user to save their image to an online database, and allowing the user to upload an image so they can edit existing images pixel by pixel.
Ever since I was a child and I played Citadel on the BBC Micro computer I’ve wanted a poster showing a map of the entire game. Inspired by a recent project (91) I decided to create a poster for Citadel. The results are necessarily “blocky”, but not altogether displeasing. Ideally I’d prefer to have a very wide poster, but I’m not sure such an aspect ratio is supported by most print services, so I settled for a standard A series size instead.
Getting this printed and put up on my wall will make me very happy!
Today I refactored much of the tricolor project (live page), a cellular automata simulator. It’s one of those projects that had a great scope for improvement and extension, and was actually an offshoot of the Conway’s Game of life project.
The most significant improvements were:
- Giving the user more control over the parameters. Many new variables were added that the user can edit, including the number of “breeds” of cells, number of “families”, the size of the cells, how the play area wraps around in the \(x\) and \(y\) directions, the base health of the cells, and after how long they start to decay (a new feature.)
- Addition of the history bar. This records the recent evolutiom of the simulation, allowing the user to see how changing the different varaibles affects the overall stability of the populations.
- Refactoring to object oriented code. Initially the code borrowed from Conway’s Game of Life, where the history of the cells was not important. As a result the code was simply a two dimensional array of states. As the tricolor cellular automata became more sophisticated it became necessary to introduce a class to handle the cells. This simplified the code greatly.
- The user can now view the “health” of the cells. Each cell has a health associated with it, and turning on the option to see the health clarifies where most of the changes are taking place. The regions close to the boundaries have less health, giving a dark outline. Large areas without any “food” lose health, making the decay more obvious/
- The layout of the page was tidied up significantly. There is less whitespace and better use of existing space. There is still room for improvement though, as a single button should be used for changing all settings, and a description of all the parameters should be given. It should also be made explicit which changes of settings require the play area to be completely redrawn.